New to conscious language? Start here! These general guides and tips will help you develop a basic understanding of inclusive, empowering, and respectful language. To subscribe to The Conscious Language Newsletter, visit Newsletters.
And forming relationships with new ones to make room for more of us.
And when biased language promotes visibility.
On borrowing the wisdom of mindfulness meditation to explore the desire for equanimity and emotional liberation.
- Advancing Health Equity: A Guide to Language, Narrative, and Concepts | American Medical Association
- The Diversity Style Guide (database)
- General Principles for Reducing Bias (APA Style) | American Psychological Association
- Inclusive Language Guidelines | American Psychological Association (list)
- A Progressive’s Style Guide (list)
- Suggested Language List
- Unspinning the Spin | Women’s Media Center (database)
- #WriteInclusion Factsheets | Think Tank for Inclusion & Equity
“The Case Against Banning Offensive Words” | The Atlantic
“The Futility of Standing Athwart Language Yelling ‘Stop!’” | The Atlantic
“The Sound of Silence: Strategic Amplification” | American Press Institute
- Strategies for covering falsehoods without amplifying them, including the “truth sandwich” and clearly labeling misinformation.